There’s something so fun about appetizers… the promise of delicious bite-sized tidbits bursting with flavor. I’ve learned from many parties to serve appetizers that can be made ahead and don’t need baking. Otherwise you spend the whole party with the oven on, restocking platters. No fun. Since it’s now officially summer party season, these sweet little stuffed peppers are make-ahead easy. Use vegan cream cheese, shown here, or light cream cheese (neufchatel) for a healthy crunchy treat.
The key to a good appetizer is creating lots of flavor in a just a bite or two. You don’t want something too heavy or too filling. What I like about these is that the cheese provides enough protein that I can have one or two and then begin to feel satisfied, especially if the party is only hors d’oeuvres. If you are serving a mix of vegetarians and omnivores, this makes a nice counterpoint to this appetizer, prosciutto-wrapped dates.
vegan, gluten-free, reduced-sugar diets
low-sodium or migraine diets
All of our recipes are gluten-free, sugar-free, and made with plant-based ingredients to help you build a healthy life. We support Meatless Monday. Look for midweek posts on meditation, service, and life lessons, helping you create inner balance.
Here’s a key ingredient for the coconut bacon bits:
Sweet and spicy stuffed bell peppers
- 6 bell peppers miniature sweet (280 g)
- 1 jalapeño or other hot pepper
- 4 ounces cream cheese vegan or light
- 10 apricots (dried)
- 1/4 cup bacon (coconut)
- Set the cream cheese out on the counter to soften. You'll need to make coconut bacon from this recipe.
- Wash the peppers and slice in half, keeping the top of the pepper on. Carefully remove the ribs and seeds.
- Slice the jalapeno down the middle, removing the top, seeds, and ribs. Finely mince.
- Mince the apricots.
- Mix the apricots, pepper, "bacon", and cream cheese together until smooth. I like to reserve a few pieces of each to drop on top as a garnish. Fill the peppers with the mixture and garnish with the leftover toppings. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- 61 calories
- 2 g fat
- 1 g saturated fat
- 0 g monounsaturated fat
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat
- 0 g trans fat
- 0 g cholesterol
- 65 mg sodium
- 226 mg potassium
- 10 g carbohydrate
- 2 g fiber
- 7 g sugars
- 1 g protein
- 2 Weight Watchers Points Plus