This quick and easy appetizer is perfect for a spring holiday brunch. I took it to a tapas party on Saturday night and it was a big hit. Creamy pesto dipping sauce complements these tiny fingerling potatoes, which many people haven’t seen before.
I’m noticing that packages of adorable little organic potatoes are now available in the grocery. The nice thing about fingerlings is that they’re easy to handle and dip, they’re pre-washed, and they cook quickly.
I love potatoes. The Husband comes from a long line of potato lovers. So this little party recipe is a fave for both of us. If you’re invited to a spring brunch or Easter party, you can bring this along so you can be sure you have something hearty to eat that’s vegan and gluten-free. You don’t have to tell anyone. They won’t believe you anyway.
vegan, gluten-free, reduced-sugar diets
low-sodium or migraine diets
Makes about 1 cup (250 ml)
1 bunch cilantro, or a combination of parsley, cilantro, and basil
1 handful of walnuts
1 handful of pine nuts
1 clove of garlic, peeled
Juice of one lemon
Put all ingredients in the food processor except the olive oil and turn on. Blend until finely chopped, scraping down the sides once. Drizzle in the olive oil until it makes a paste and starts to form a ball. If you eat dairy, throw in about a half-cup of parmesan.
Vegan ranch dressing
Makes 1 cup (250 ml)
1/2 C. (125 ml) canola, safflower, or grapeseed oil
1/4-1/2 C. (75-125 ml) soy milk*
2 t. (10 ml) apple cider vinegar
1 t. (2 g) garlic powder
1 t. (2 g) sea salt
1 t. (2 g) onion powder
1/2 t. (1 g) black pepper
1 t. (2 g) dried dill, or 1 T./5 g fresh
1 t. (2 g) dried parsley, or 1 T./5 g fresh
1/2 t. (1 g) dried chives
Put the soy milk and the vinegar in the blender and let stand 5-10 minutes to curdle. Add all other ingredients and blend until smooth and creamy. Add more soy milk as needed if you want a pourable dressing. As written, it makes a pretty firm dip (like sour cream consistency).
All of our recipes are gluten-free, sugar-free, and made with plant-based ingredients to help you build a healthy life. Look for midweek posts on meditation, service, and life lessons, helping you create inner balance.
Fingerling potatoes with creamy pesto dipping sauce
- 1 pound potatoes fingerling or baby new potatoes
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup pesto recipe above (250 g)
- 1/2 cup ranch dressing vegan (recipe above) or regular (250 g)
- Bring a large pot of water to a full boil. Add the salt and stir. Add the potatoes and cook until tender when pierced with a fork, about 10 minutes. Keep the water at a gentle boil the whole time. Drain and rinse. Allow to dry completely. Serve at room temperature with pesto dipping sauce.
- Blend the dressing and the pesto until smooth. You can use Vegenaise or light mayo and store-bought pesto as well. Here's my pesto recipe, followed by the ranch dressing. I use half walnuts and half pine nuts to make the recipe less expensive.
- 114 calories
- 8 g fat
- 1 g saturated fat
- 0 g monounsaturated fat
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat
- 0 g trans fat
- 0 g cholesterol
- 633 mg sodium (reduce by omitting salt and using salt-free pesto and ranch dressing)
- 158 mg potassium
- 8 g carbohydrate
- 1 g fiber
- 1 g sugars
- 2 g protein
- 3 Weight Watchers Points Plus