Nothing says Cinco de Mayo like a margarita, but how about something a little different? This refreshing sorbet features fresh lime juice, agave syrup, tequila blanco, and a sweetly spicy salt topping. My healthy Cinco de Mayo menu is below.
Adding a small amount of alcohol to sorbets improves their texture and keeps them from freezing rock-solid. The texture of this is creamy and smooth and the tequila adds a lovely flavor but it’s such a small amount that it’s still family-friendly.
When I was in Thailand years ago, dessert was very simple: super-fresh tropical fruit served with a mixture of large-crystal salt, sugar, and hot pepper flakes to dip it in. The combination really brought out the flavor in the mango and pineapple. For this sorbet topping, I thought back to that idea, and also used a technique from Joy the Baker’s cookbook to infuse the salt with more of the lime flavor.
vegan, gluten-free, low-sodium, reduced-sugar diets
All of our recipes are gluten-free, sugar-free, and made with plant-based ingredients to help you build a healthy life. We support Meatless Monday. Look for midweek posts on meditation, service, and life lessons, helping you create inner balance.
Margarita sorbet with sweet and spicy lime-infused sea salt
- 3 cups water (filtered or spring)
- 3/4 cup agave syrup
- 3 tbsp tequila blanco
- 4 limes zested, then juiced, divided
- 1 tsp sea salt large flakes (omit for low-sodium diet)
- 1 tsp granulated sugar (organic) large-crystal
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- Warm the water and agave syrup in a medium saucepan, stirring until syrup is dissolved. Remove from the heat and cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Use a Microplane grater to get just the green part of the lime peels. You can also use a peeler and sharp paring knife or the fine side of a box grater for this step.
- Set aside one teaspoon of the zest, add the remaining lime zest to the mixture.
- Juice the limes and add the juice to the mixture. Stir in the tequila, then refrigerate until very cold.
- Pour into an ice cream maker and follow the instructions to freeze it. If you do not have an ice cream maker, follow these directions to create an Italian-style ice or granita.
- Pour out the salt and sugar onto a piece of waxed paper. Add the remaining lime zest. With the back of a spoon, rub the zest into the crystals until you smell the lime, this helps release the oils. Add the red pepper flakes and mix thoroughly. Serve in a small bowl with a spoon, allowing people to add as much as they like.
- 115 calories
- 0 g fat
- 0 g cholesterol
- 313 mg sodium (1 mg sodium with salt omitted)
- 192 mg potassium
- 27 g carbohydrate
- 1 g fiber
- 24 g sugars
- 0 g protein
- 4 Weight Watchers Points Plus