Finely shredded raw kale is massaged with fresh lemon juice, citrus olive oil, and specialty salt to create this glossy tender texture. Mixed with perfectly ripe mango, coconut, and toasted cashews it makes a lovely fruity salad that’s bursting with nutrients and flavor.
The first time I had this raw kale salad was when my friend Peg brought it to a party. Peg was in the middle of a healing journey that involved raw food, and was making all kinds of deliciousness. I was amazed at how simple the ingredients were, and that the application of salt, acid (in the form of lemon juice), and oil breaks down and “cooks” the kale.
Later I saw Aarti Sequeria do a similar kale salad on her TV show Aarti Paarti. As the kale does start to taste and smell like bananas, taking this salad in a fruity direction makes perfect sense. Citrus-infused olive oil, vanilla-infused salt, and organic coconut flakes make it all work, along with a few toasted cashews for crunch and texture.
Did you know that mangoes are likely to be organic even if they are not certified? Most are hand collected and not grown with pesticides, plus their thick skin is a natural protectant. One cup of mango also provides 100% of your Vitamin C!
vegan, gluten-free, reduced-sugar diets
low-sodium or migraine diets
All of our recipes are gluten-free, sugar-free, and made with plant-based ingredients to help you build a healthy life. Look for midweek posts on meditation, service, and life lessons, helping you create inner balance.
Kale-mango-coconut salad with toasted cashews
- 4 cups kale finely shredded (100 g)
- 1/2 lemons
- 1 tbsp olive oil (extra virgin) citrus-infused if possible
- 1/4 tsp sea salt vanilla salt if possible
- 1/4 cup cashews raw (30 g)
- 1 mango Ataulfo or Champagne (300 g)
- 4 tbsp coconut (flakes, unsweetened)
- You can buy pre-washed shredded kale salad or make your own. If making your own, wash and thoroughly dry the kale leaves. Fold in half lengthwise and cut away the thick stem. Roll up and cut crosswise into thin shreds, then cut once in the other direction. Put kale into a large bowl.
- Add the lemon juice, olive oil, and salt, and massage the kale with your hands until it's glossy green and soft. Aarti says it "smells like bananas" in her lovely British accent, and it does! Chemistry!
- Toast the cashews in a dry skillet over medium heat, making sure not to burn them. Let cool. You can leave them whole or roughly chop so they distribute themselves through the salad a little bit more.
- Cut the mango by slicing it lengthwise on either side of the pit. Cut down to the skin evenly in both directions (called scoring) to make little mango squares. Flip the skin inside out and cut the pieces off straight into the bowl.
- Add the toasted cashews and coconut and stir. Taste and top with a tiny bit more salt if needed.
- 151 calories
- 10 g fat
- 3 g saturated fat
- 4 g monounsaturated fat
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat
- 0 g trans fat
- 0 g cholesterol
- 173 mg sodium (32 mg sodium with salt omitted)
- 396 mg potassium
- 15 g carbohydrate
- 2 g fiber
- 4 g sugars
- 4 g protein
- 4 Weight Watchers Points Plus