Something this simple really shouldn’t taste this good. But it does. Oh, it does. If you’ve ever had saag paneer at an Indian restaurant, this is a really close cousin. A kissing cousin. You can use any type of greens you have, and it’s a great way to use up a random assortment.
For this recipe I used beet greens, a few young carrot tops from my garden, and the last of the kale from last year’s garden. I have also made it with Swiss chard from Cut ‘N Clean Greens. Carrot tops are very bitter, so use them sparingly. The whole thing is simmered for a minimum of 30 minutes, but just gets better as it cooks, so you can leave it on the stove for over an hour and not be sorry.
vegan, gluten-free, low-sodium, migraine, reduced-sugar diets
Serve over saffron rice or brown rice as a side to dal, vegetarian keema, creamy black lentils, or curried cabbage with potatoes. I like to serve with a little cashew yogurt and a spoonful of cranberry chutney.
All of our recipes are gluten-free, sugar-free, and made with plant-based ingredients to help you build a healthy life. We support Meatless Monday. Look for midweek essays and Friday giveaways (when available).
This is a great curry powder:
- 12-16 ounces kale also Swiss chard, beet, turnip, mustard, etc.
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp olive oil (extra virgin) or coconut oil
- 3-4 tsp curry powder mild or medium
- 14 ounces coconut milk light or regular
- Wash and dry the greens.
- Finely chop the greens (stems too!) by pulsing in the food processor, a handful at a time. You want them finely chopped but not puréed.
- Smash the garlic cloves, remove the papery husks, and finely mince.
- Heat the oil in a cast iron frying pan or non-stick sauté pan.
- Add the curry powder and garlic and cook for just a minute.
- Add the greens and cook, stirring every few minutes, for about five minutes until they start to wilt.
- Add the coconut milk and stir, mixing thoroughly.
- Bring to a boil, then turn down to simmer, cover, and cook for 30-60 minutes. Top with a sprinkle of red pepper flakes if desired (shown).
- 79 calories
- 5 g fat
- 4 g saturated fat
- 0 g monounsaturated fat
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat
- 0 g trans fat
- 0 g cholesterol
- 41 mg sodium
- 269 mg potassium
- 9 g carbohydrate
- 2 g fiber
- 1 g sugars
- 2 g protein
- 2 Weight Watchers Points Plus