Make sure you check the package when buying TVP, as it is not always made from soy. It can also be made from cotton seeds, oats and wheat. I purchase mine from Bob’s Red Mill, so I know it’s made from organic, non-GMO soybeans. Check out the companion recipes from Junnoon Restaurant in Palo Alto, CA : black lentils and cranberry chutney. Enjoy!
vegan, gluten-free, reduced-sugar diets
All of our recipes are gluten-free, sugar-free, and made with plant-based ingredients to help you build a healthy life. Look for midweek posts on meditation, service, and life lessons, helping you create inner balance.
Meatless Monday: Vegetarian keema
- 2 tbsp olive oil (extra virgin) butter, ghee, coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 cloves (whole)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 onions white or yellow, large
- 28 ounces tomatoes chopped, no salt added
- 1 tbsp chili powder red
- 1-2 tsp sea salt (omit for low-sodium diet)
- 1 cup texturized vegetable protein
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp cumin (dried)
- 1 tbsp ginger (fresh) minced or grated
- 1/2 cup coconut milk cashew cream, MimiCream, cream
- Heat the oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat and add the cumin seeds and cloves. When they crackle, add the garlic and cook about a minute until golden. Add the onion and sauté until golden brown.
- Heat one cup (250 ml) filtered water until boiling. Pour over the TVP and let sit while everything else is cooking.
- Put half of the tomatoes in a blender and blend until smooth. Add the tomatoes and chili powder to the pan and cook until the liquid from the tomatoes has evaporated. Stir in the salt, garam masala, cumin, ginger, and TVP. Cook on low with the lid on for 20 minutes. Take the lid off and stir in the coconut milk or cream substitute. Cook over low about 10 minutes.
- Serve garnished with chopped cilantro over brown rice. This is also excellent with cranberry chutney.
- 172 calories
- 9 g fat
- 4 g saturated fat
- 4 g monounsaturated fat
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat
- 0 g trans fat
- 0 g cholesterol
- 400 mg sodium (25 mg sodium with salt omitted)
- 813 mg potassium
- 14 g carbohydrate
- 5 g fiber
- 6 g sugars
- 10 g protein
- 4 Weight Watchers Points Plus