Photo by Rustic Garden Bistro. Thanks Kim!
For my vegan readers out there, don’t get upset. This salad is delicious without the meat. Many readers are eating vegan while their families are not. This salad is the perfect compromise. If you don’t like to deal with meat, you can have the carnivore cook it while you make the rest. The Husband always gets happy when he sees this recipe is out on the counter.
Allow 3-4 ounces of meat per person, which is a healthy serving. I buy a small package of buffalo meat if it is available, which is generally grass-fed and much leaner than beef. Use locally pastured beef if you can find it; grass-fed organic beef is also a good choice. The veggies add the heft and nutrition.
The trick is getting the veggies all about the same size so they cook evenly. You could also do these veggies on skewers on a grill. You want sturdy greens for this salad, otherwise the warm toppings will wilt it too much.
The renovation: The original recipe came from Shape Magazine, but it’s no longer on their website. I added multiple veggies and changed the way they were cooked.
vegan, gluten-free, reduced-sugar diets
low-sodium or migraine diets
Steak and roasted potato salad
- 6 mushrooms cremini or button, large, halved
- 3 carrots small, cut on the diagonal
- 1 summer squash or zucchini, in large chunks
- 8 potatoes fingerling or baby new potatoes (sub parsnips or sweet potatoes for paleo diet)
- 1 bell peppers red or yellow, in chunks
- 1 onions small, red or yellow, in chunks
- 6-8 ounces sirloin steak lean pastured or grass-fed
- 1/2 package mache baby spinach, mesclun blend
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 shallots peeled and finely minced
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil (extra virgin)
- 1 tsp mustard (prepared) stone-ground or Dijon mustard
- 1 sprig tarragon (fresh) savory, (1/4 tsp dried tarragon)
- 491 calories
- 18 g fat
- 4 g saturated fat
- 10 g monounsaturated fat
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat
- 0 g trans fat
- 43 g cholesterol
- 202 mg sodium (142 mg sodium with dijon mustard omitted)
- 1887 mg potassium
- 52 g carbohydrate
- 11 g fiber
- 18 g sugars
- 30 g protein
- 12 Weight Watchers Points Plus