Super-fast shrimp salad served inside halved avocado “boats”. Easy, healthy recipe that’s gluten-free and paleo.
At this time of year I start yearning for lighter food, which includes seafood. Choosing wild-caught shrimp that hasn’t been brined (like this frozen Argentinian shrimp from Trader Joe’s) means I can get my shrimp fix once in a while without getting too much sodium. I saw a similar salad photo and it inspired me to do my own quick take on shrimp salad. I had lunch on the table in 15 minutes, which for me is fast food! If you use homemade low-sodium mayo and chile pepper sauce this could still be low-sodium. Enjoy!
paleo, pescatarian, gluten-free, celiac, Whole30® diets
Not recommended for:
vegan, vegetarian, low-sodium, migraine diets
You might also like:
Spicy chipotle shrimp salad from Cooking Light
Chopped Thai shrimp salad with garlic-lime dressing from Pinch of Yum
Blood orange glazed spicy grilled shrimp
Shrimp salad in avocado boats
- 1 tbsp olive oil (extra virgin)
- 8 ounces shrimp thawed, peeled, and deveined
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise divided use, organic, olive oil or avocado oil if possible
- 1 stalk celery finely chopped
- 1 handful Italian flat-leaf parsley (fresh) minced
- 1 sprig dill (fresh) or fennel tops, if available
- 1 avocado ripe, cut in half
- 1/2 limes juiced
- 1 tbsp chili pepper sauce
- Heat the olive oil in a large nonstick or cast iron skillet over medium heat until shimmering.
- Add the shrimp and immediately sprinkle with the garlic powder and smoked paprika.
- Sauté until golden and firm, about two minutes total. Remove from pan, reserving two-four shrimp for the garnish.
- Chop the rest of the shrimp and mix with the celery, parsley, dill or fennel if using, and about 1 tbsp mayonnaise. Reserve a little of the herbs for garnish.
- Fill each avocado half with the mixture, garnish with the reserved shrimp, lime wedges, and sprinkle with extra herbs.
- Whisk together the remaining mayo, lime juice, and chile pepper sauce. Drizzle over the top. Serve immediately.