Boozy little cacao truffles, super simple to make for holiday parties
I haven’t made truffles like this in a long time, since they’re not migraine friendly. Every single component—the deliciously sweet dates, the pecans, the cacao nibs, the alcohol—is a migraine trigger. Sometimes the Universe conspires… my neighbor was downsizing and I was gifted three bottles of unusual liqueurs. I figured, “Recipe inspiration!”
Then I was asked to make a dessert for a neighborhood fundraiser. On a weekend I am gone. I realized I could make these in advance, and they would get just a little more boozy if they sit a week in the fridge. And getting a little more boozy isn’t a bad thing. These taste like candy bars. Like candy bars, they should be eaten in moderation. But if you’re going to have a treat, these are whole foods and are completely plant-based. Skip the booze if making for a family gathering. Skip the salt for low-sodium diets.
low-sodium, vegan, vegetarian, paleo, gluten-free, dairy-free, reduced-sugar diets; low-sodium if you omit the salt
migraine, low-tyramine, Whole30, nut-free diets
You might also like:
Pecan-date-cacao truffles with Kona liqueur
- 10 dates fresh, preferably Medjool
- 1 cup pecans (115 g)
- 1/2 cup cacao nibs unsweetened (50 g)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt vanilla or smoked sea salt or pink Himalayan salt (omit for low-sodium diets)
- 2 tbsp Kona liqueur can add more if needed
- Remove the pits from the dates.
- Finely grind the sea salt in a mortar and pestle, to make less salt flavor go farther.
- Put the dates in your food processor with the rest of the ingredients. Process until the mixture is finely ground and holds together when pressed.
- Using a 1 T. measure, form the truffles and roll into balls. Place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment, waxed paper, or a silicone sheet.
- Sprinkle with a little bit of sea salt flakes if desired.
- Refrigerate until firm.
- 99 calories
- 6 g fat
- 2 g saturated fat
- 2 g monounsaturated fat
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat
- 0 g trans fat
- 0 g cholesterol
- 120 mg sodium (8 mg sodium with salt omitted)
- 73 mg potassium
- 12 g carbohydrate
- 3 g fiber
- 7 g sugars
- 2 g protein
- 3 Weight Watchers Points Plus