Photo by Family Spice. Thanks Laura!
Perfect for entertaining weekend guests, hosting a brunch, or attending a brunch. Serve with fresh-squeezed orange juice and a sprig of rosemary. You make it ahead the night before and bake it for one hour in the morning.
I often make this on Christmas morning, getting up to put it in the oven and then going back to bed for an hour while it bakes. Just make sure you can hear the timer! You can use literally any combination of cheese, veggies, meat… The better the bread, the better the strata. I would use Udi’s gluten-free whole grain bread for this.
The renovation: The original recipe called for whole eggs and whole milk, and regular bacon. To lighten this dish, you can use skim milk, lower-fat cheese, and remove some of the yolks. Choose a cheese that will go nicely with the veggies you are using. Swiss goes great with mushrooms.
vegetarian, gluten-free, reduced-sugar diets
low-sodium or migraine diets
Gluten-free breakfast strata
Meat: Choose 1
- 8 ounces turkey bacon prosciutto, turkey sausage, or Canadian bacon
Vegetables: Choose 1 or 2
- 10 ounces spinach frozen, or frozen chopped broccoli, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 zucchini thinly sliced
- 8 ounces mushrooms cremini, slices and sauteed until golden
- 8 ounces cheese Gouda, Swiss, or Monterey Jack, shredded
- 6 eggs or 12 egg whites
- 1.5 cups milk soy, rice, skim, 2%
- 1/4 tsp sea salt kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 6 slices bread (gluten-free) cut into cubes
- 215 calories
- 10 g fat
- 159 g cholesterol
- 555 mg sodium
- 593 mg potassium
- 23 g carbohydrate
- 2 g fiber
- 6 g sugars
- 18 g protein
- 7 Weight Watchers Points Plus