The flavors of eggnog in a quick, whole foods smoothie!
This post is sponsored by Davidson’s Safest Choice Eggs.
Join the Safest Choiceâ„¢ sponsored #FoodieChats twitter chat tonight from 7-8:30pm CST. Or enter their Instagram photo contest that ends December 14th. Tag your photos with #SafeNogPhotoContest for a chance to win this Eggnog Bartender Prize Package:
I confess, I don’t think I’ve ever had real homemade eggnog, the kind made with whole foods ingredients and real booze. I’ve only had the carton stuff, which we used to buy for our tree decorating day. When my friends at Davidson’s Safest Choice Eggs approached me about joining them for this holiday promotion, I thought it would be fun to come up with a nog-inspired recipe. I decided to make a non-dairy smoothie with the flavors of eggnog. Using a pasteurized egg means you don’t have to worry one bit about salmonella from the raw egg, you just get all that creamy eggy flavor.
I skipped the sugar altogether, using fresh Medjool dates to sweeten the smoothie and add body. Topped with freshly grated nutmeg, the Husband agreed, this should be our new holiday tradition! I could only find imitation rum flavor extract in my store, but several companies offer real rum extract if you order online. Stay tuned next week for my continuing nog experiment, this time with booze, but still with #SafeEggs.
low-sodium, whole foods, paleo, gluten-free, celiac, vegetarian, reduced-sugar diets
You might also like:
Eggnog Pudding from Desserts Required
- 1/2 cup cashews raw, soaked at least 30 minutes
- 3 dates fresh, soaked at least 30 minutes in hot water
- 1 eggs pasteurized
- 1/2 tsp rum extract
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg (dried)
- Soak cashews for at least 30 minutes in filtered water (up to 8 hours).
- Soak dates in hot filtered water for at least 30 minutes (up to 4 hours).
- Drain dates, reserving soaking water in a 1-cup measure. Top up the cup with filtered water until it's full.
- Blend all ingredients, including the date soaking water, for one minute until smooth and creamy. Top with freshly grated nutmeg and serve.