The renovation: This recipe originally appeared in the San Diego Union-Tribune newspaper’s Smart Living section. I replaced the sugar with agave syrup and changed some of the fruits, reducing the onion by half.
vegan, gluten-free, low-sodium, reduced-sugar diets
- 12 ounces cranberries (whole)
- 1 pears any type
- 2-3 persimmons or one large apple
- 2 jalapeño
- 1/2 onions red
- 1 oranges
- 1/2 cup agave syrup maple syrup, honey
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp cardamom seeds ground cardamom
- Wash the cranberries, fruit, and peppers.
- Finely chop the onion and put in a medium-sized saucepan.
- Add the cranberries. Core the fruit and chop. You can leave it in larger pieces for a chunkier sauce, or chop it finely if you want a smoother sauce.
- Zest the orange into the pot, then cut in half and juice it. Add all the remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer for 30 minutes.
- 172 calories
- 0 g fat
- 0 g saturated fat
- 0 g monounsaturated fat
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat
- 0 g trans fat
- 0 g cholesterol
- 1 mg sodium
- 255 mg potassium
- 39 g carbohydrate
- 8 g fiber
- 23 g sugars
- 1 g protein
- 4 Weight Watchers Points Plus