If you’re surprised to see me posting this BLT salad, you’re probably not any more surprised than I am. Since we ate plant-based for more than four years, I thought my days of eating bacon were long over. My diagnosis in January of Meniere’s Disease with migraine variant caused me to completely rethink everything I am eating. I’m now on a version of the paleo (ancestral/primal) diet modified to be low-sodium and avoid migraine triggers. This salad does contain two items that are not on the migraine plan: avocados and bacon. They were two of the very first foods I tested, once I had been on the diet for four months and my symptoms were well under control.
It’s not just any bacon; there are only two kinds I have found that are suitable: Whole Foods 365 uncured, and Pederson’s Natural Farms paleo bacon. This photo shows the Pederson’s Natural Farms uncured, no-sugar, hickory-smoked bacon, which is reasonably low in sodium, and contains no nitrates. It is smoked, but doesn’t seem to bother me. I can only eat 1 slice per day because of the sodium, but it’s really a treat. I cut the slices in half, so it seems like I’m getting two.
I made the dressing to complement the BLT flavors, blending cherry tomatoes, spices, and home-made olive oil mayonnaise together. I was inspired by a pair of dressing recipes in Cooking Light. Lots of delicious specialty lettuce, a little green onion, and luscious ripe Reed avocados and more cherry tomatoes round out the salad. You could also crumble the bacon over the salad if you like.
paleo, low-sodium, gluten-free, reduced-sugar, vegetarian (if you omit the bacon) diets
salt-free, vegan, or strict migraine diets (dressing is suitable for the migraine diet)
You might also like:
BLT salad with spicy tomato dressing
- 6 tbsp mayonnaise use home-made olive oil mayonnaise for low-sodium diets
- 3 tbsp water (filtered or spring)
- 1 tbsp white balsamic vinegar use distilled white vinegar for migraine diet
- 8 small cherry tomatoes or 4 large
- 1 tsp smoked paprika pimenton
- 1/2 tsp parsley (dried)
- 1/4 tsp mustard (dry)
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp sage (dried)
- Combine all dressing ingredients and blend until very smooth. Add additional water if needed to get the consistency you like.
- For each salad, combine fresh lettuce, cherry tomatoes, one-half avocado in slices, and one slice well-cooked bacon in bits or crumbled. Top with dressing.