This is rich in fiber and essential omega-3 fatty acids from the chia seeds. Maca root powder is great for men, as it has positive effects on libido and sexual function. Hemp seeds provide complete proteins and all the essential fatty acids. The deep red of the beets provides anti-oxidants. Cacao nibs add in flavonoids and all the health benefits of chocolate without the sugar. You can use any type of non-dairy milk; we use organic unsweetened soy milk. You do need a high-speed blender for this one. I have a Vita-mix.
vegan, gluten-free, low-sodium, paleo, reduced-sugar diets
All of our recipes are gluten-free, sugar-free, and made with plant-based ingredients to help you build a healthy life. We support Meatless Monday. Look for midweek posts on meditation, service, and life lessons, helping you create inner balance. I usually have giveaways or how-to posts on Fridays.
Here’s a brand of maca powder I really like:
- 1-1/2 cups milk your choice
- 6-8 ice cubes
- 2 tbsp maca powder
- 2 tbsp cacao nibs unsweetened (omit for migraine diet)
- 2 tbsp buckwheat flour
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tbsp hemp seeds
- 2 beets small, or one large red
- 2 handfuls raspberries (omit for migraine diet)
- 3-4 handfuls strawberries
- Scrub the beets and remove the greens. Reserve the greens for another use or add them to the smoothie (not too many leaves). Cut off the little tail and the top and put the beet in chunks into the blender.
- Wash the berries and add to the blender. You can leave the strawberry tops on if they are fresh.
- Add all the other ingredients to the blend. Blend on high until smooth.
- 348 calories
- 13 g fat
- 0 g cholesterol
- 121 mg sodium (could be lower depending on milk)
- 586 mg potassium
- 44 g carbohydrate
- 17 g fiber
- 13 g sugars
- 18 g protein
- 8 Weight Watchers Points Plus