My family stuffing recipe wasn’t too exciting, and since my mom always cooked it inside the turkey it tended to be gooey. I’ve been making a version of this recipe since 1989. It has that necessary celery flavor, but has so many other things going for it. Perfect for vegetarians who might be joining you for a holiday meal. This can be vegan if you use vegetable broth and check the bread ingredients. I have made this with fresh herbs and actually like it better with dried herbs, probably because it tastes more like my mom’s that way. The original recipe was by Christine Koury—now food editor for Redbook and Woman’s World magazine.
The renovation: I omitted the butter and sausage back then. Since then, I’ve gone through a variety of bread types. If you can eat gluten, use a good quality crusty artisan bread. For GF folks, use Udi’s or Rudi’s whole grain bread (shown here). You can also make a pan of my gluten-free cornbread for this stuffing instead.
vegan, gluten-free, reduced-sugar diets, migraine diet with noted modifications
Gluten-free wild rice stuffing recipe with cornbread
- 1 cup wild rice (160 g)
- 2 tbs olive oil (extra virgin)
- 1 cup celery
- 2-1/2 cups onions use two bunches scallions for migraine diet
- 2 cups mushrooms cremini or button
- 1 tsp sea salt kosher salt, omit for migraine diet
- 1-1/2 tsp thyme (dried) crushed
- 1-1/2 tsp rosemary (dried) crushed
- 1-1/2 tsp black pepper
- 6 cups bread (gluten-free, cubed) whole wheat, gluten-free bread, or cornbread, use low-sodium GF bread for migraine diet
- 2 apples large, Rome Beauty or Honeycrisp
- 1 cup currants raisins, omit for migraine diet
- 1 cup pecans optional, can use pepitas for migraine diet or omit
- 4 cups vegetable stock (low-sodium) chicken or turkey stock, no salt added, made without onion for migraine diet
- Cook wild rice with 2 cups filtered water. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for 45-50 minutes until tender. Let cool and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in large sauté pan until shimmering. Swirl pan to coat. Sauté celery, onions, mushrooms, and seasonings about 15 minutes, until golden brown and all moisture has evaporated from the pan.
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C/gas mark 4. Spray or oil a 9" X 13" baking pan.
- In a large bowl, combine wild rice and vegetable mixture with remaining ingredients, adding just enough vegetable or chicken stock to moisten the bread without it being soggy. Spread into the baking dish.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes until golden brown on top. Leftover stuffing can be frozen.
- 254 calories
- 10 g fat
- 1 g saturated fat
- 6 g monounsaturated fat
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat
- 0 g trans fat
- 0 g cholesterol
- 737 mg sodium (362 mg sodium with salt omitted)
- 303 mg potassium
- 42 g carbohydrate
- 5 g fiber
- 17 g sugars
- 4 g protein
- 7 Weight Watchers Points Plus