Nothing is more homey than pot pie fresh out of the oven, brimming with tasty veggies in a rich gravy.
This is a perfect way to use up holiday leftovers without having them feel like “leftovers.”
You will need one gluten-free pie crust and about 2 cups of mushroom soup or my creamy mushroom gravy for this recipe. Make the pie crust dough and set aside, or pull a frozen gluten-free pie crust from the freezer to thaw. If you make everything yourself, this can be a low-sodium recipe.
vegan, gluten-free, reduced-sugar, migraine, low-sodium (see notes) diets
paleo, grain-free, Whole30 diets
Here’s what reader Robin D. said: My friend Christy helped with the crust, while I was doing the chicken and veggies. We followed the crust in your blog, all homemade!!! It was delish!!! Got rave reviews! The trickiest part (as noted in your instructions) was flipping the Saran-wrapped crust over onto the top of the pie… we kind of overshot, but it was pretty funny and we fixed it with little dough pieces, which didn’t look that good, but tasted the same I’m sure! :)
Meatless Monday: Veggie Pot Pie
- 1 tbsp olive oil (extra virgin) grapeseed oil
- 1 cup onions diced (130 g), use sliced green onions for migraine diet
- 3/4 cup carrots diced (80 g)
- 1 cup sweet potatoes diced (130 g)
- 1 cup potatoes diced (130 g)
- 1 cup celery diced (100 g)
- 1 cup peas frozen, thawed (135)
- 8 ounces tempeh firm tofu, cubed, or 1/2 cup (50 g) TVP, omit for soy-free or migraine diet
- 2 cups mushroom soup organic, potato soup, or mushroom gravy
- 1 pie crust (gluten-free) unbaked
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C/gas mark 4. Spray a pie pan with cooking spray.
- If you are using TVP, heat 1/2 C. (125 ml) filtered water to boiling, stir in the TVP and set aside. (Omit for migraine diet.)
- Put a large sauté pan on medium-high heat. Add oil just a minute before adding the onions and turn down the heat to medium. Add the veggies as you prep them. Stir with each addition. If the veggies start to stick, add a little white wine. They should get golden brown, not too dark.
- Scrub the veggies, dice them, and add to the pan in this order: onion (or green onion), carrot, sweet potato, potato, celery
- If using tempeh or tofu, cut it into small cubes.
- When the potatoes are still firm but almost cooked through, stir in the peas and the tempeh, tofu, or soaked TVP and stir. Put everything into the pie pan. Pour the gravy or soup over the top and mix well.
- Roll out the pie crust and lay it over the top of the pie dish, pressing it down around the edge. Cut slits in the top as shown. Bake for 30 minutes until the crust is golden brown and you see the gravy bubbling a little through the crust.
- 237 calories
- 9 g fat
- 4 g saturated fat
- 1 g monounsaturated fat
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat
- 0 g trans fat
- 25 g cholesterol
- 316 mg sodium
- 290 mg potassium
- 30 g carbohydrate
- 5 g fiber
- 4 g sugars
- 7 g protein
- 6 Weight Watchers Points Plus