Chewy chocolate cookies. Rich vanilla bean ice cream.
One of my childhood loves was ice cream sandwiches. You know the ones I mean. Wrapped in paper. Rectangles of chocolate cake-style cookie on the outside, with super-sweet faux vanilla ice cream inside. I loved to squish them slightly as they got melty, running my tongue around the edge to catch the ice cream.
For my second frozen treat of July, I updated that childhood favorite, making grain-free cookies from nut meal. And real vanilla bean ice cream, egg yolks and all. But no dairy. Instead, I used coconut milk, like the Culinary Coconut Milk from So Delicious. Once frozen, these taste remarkably like my childhood treat. Which is even more surprising as I used carob powder in place of cocoa powder, and no heavy cream.
If you wish to make the ice cream vegan, omit the egg yolks and substitute 1/2 tsp. xanthan gum or 2 tsp. organic cornstarch. Make a slurry with either of these and some of the coconut milk, then whisk into the coconut milk on the stove and heat until it thickens and coats the back of a spoon.
Migraine peeps: Use sunflower seeds ground into flour for the cookies, and carob powder instead of cocoa powder. While these do have a small amount of natural sweetener, they should be okay for an occasional treat.
Tips for making ice cream sandwiches without swearing a blue streak:
- Make sure your cookies are completely cool. Then freeze them for at least 30 minutes.
- Once you’ve churned your ice cream, scoop small, uniform scoops onto a frozen baking sheet covered in parchment paper or a silicone sheet. Freeze until very firm.
- Have a second frozen sheet ready for your sandwiches as you make them.
- Use an offset or metal spatula to move the ice cream scoops from the sheet onto the flat side of the bottom cookie. Smush ice cream a little as you top it with the second cookie.
- Put back in the freezer ASAP.
- If wrapping in waxed paper (recommended for longer-term storage), pre-cut all the paper and twine. Then wrap 2 or 3 at a time, returning to freezer ASAP.
Vegan, vegetarian, paleo, grain-free, dairy-free, low-sodium, migraine, gluten-free, reduced-sugar diets
This is a Sweet entry in the So Delicious and Go Dairy Free Snackable Recipe Contest