Grain-free and dairy-free totchos, but still indulgent!
My love of potatoes truly knows no bounds. For me, they are a treat like dessert. And when we watch football, especially that Big Game, we will be eating these. For those of you who haven’t seen this brilliant take on nachos, you simply use frozen potato tots as the base in place of chips, i.e. “tot-chos.” Yum.
Look for Cascadian Farms organic tots, as they are the least junky of all the brands available.
I came up with a super-easy cheezy creamy sauce for these, the rest is assembly. You can use your favorite ground beef taco recipe, my Thai ground turkey recipe (trust me, it works), or my Thai meat-free version. Or meatless sloppy Joe’s. Or this meatless street taco filing. Or soy chorizo. Or pulled pork.
Other toppings to consider: sliced olives, guacamole, salsa, canned pickled jalapenos, roasted green chiles. Since many people hate cilantro, I suggest offering it on the side.
vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free, celiac diets, paleo if you consider tots within your plan on special occasions
Not recommended for:
low-sodium, migraine diets
You might also like:
Totchos with jalapeño-cashew sauce for the Big Game
Cheesy jalapeño sauce
- 1 cup cashews raw, soaked at least 30 minutes
- 2 jalapeño pickled (canned)
- 1 lemons juiced
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 24 ounces potato "tots" (frozen) Cascadian Farms organic if available
- 1 recipe meat topping or vegetarian version, black beans, etc.
- 1 can olives (black) sliced
- 1 can jalapeño pickled, sliced
- 1 recipe guacamole
- 1 bunch cilantro finely chopped
- Soak the cashews for at least 30 minutes. Drain and rinse. Blend with the other sauce ingredients plus enough water to make a pourable sauce.
- Bake the tots on a rimmed baking sheet at 425F for 20 minutes, stirring once to get them evenly brown.
- Heat up the meat (or faux meat) topping mixture.
- Cover tots with meat mixture and sprinkle with olives and jalapeños. Bake for another 5-10 minutes until everything is hot.
- Drizzle with a generous amount of sauce. Add guacamole and salsa on the side if desired.