For a quick, healthy, delicious lunch, I used Trader Joe’s veggie burgers and their sliced veggie tofu cheese. If you’re at home, cook this in a little skillet. At work, you could do this in a microwave. I topped it with this salad and added pickled beets as a side.
Tomato pepper salad
- 6-8 cherry tomatoes large, or small Roma
- 1 bell peppers red
- 4 sprigs basil leaves (fresh)
- 1/2 lemons (omit for migraine diets)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt (omit for low-sodium and migraine diets)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper freshly cracked
- Wash and dry the produce.
- Dice the tomatoes into small pieces. Remove the core and seeds from the red pepper and cut into small dice, about the same size as the tomatoes. Place them in a bowl.
- Stack the basil leaves and then roll them tightly, slice them crosswise into thin strips. (This is called a chiffonade cut.)
- Toss everything together.
- Squeeze the juice from half a lemon into the bowl and toss. (Omit for migraine and low-tyramine diets, replace with flavored olive oil.)
- Add some sea salt and black pepper.
- 40 calories
- 0 g fat
- 0 g cholesterol
- 8 mg sodium (4 mg with changes noted above)
- 306 mg potassium
- 8 g carbohydrate
- 3 g fiber
- 5 g sugars
- 1 g protein
- 1 Weight Watchers Points Plus