Today is my two-year blogiversary. I had no idea how many ways this blog would change my life and the lives of others. Thank you all—from the bottom of my heart—for reading, commenting, and following.
I created this special cookie for a special little boy, who we lost shortly after I originally wrote this post in 2012.
Make this cookie for someone you love.
vegan, gluten-free, reduced-sugar diets
low-sodium or migraine diets
- 1 cup granulated sugar (organic) maple sugar (140 g)
- 2 tbsp Earth Balance butter
- 1-1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp flax seeds (ground)
- 1/4 cup water (filtered or spring)
- 1 cup sweet sorghum flour sifted
- 1 cup oat flour (gluten-free)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/2 cup almond flour (70 g)
- 3/4 cup Earth Balance butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar (organic) maple sugar (70 g)
- 1/4 cup agave syrup
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup pecans (150 g) plus 36 halves
- Put a clean piece of waxed paper or parchment paper out on a counter.
- Make the toffee by heating the maple sugar, margarine or butter, and salt over medium-low heat, stirring constantly until bubbly. It will be like wet sand, then slowly get glossy and stick to the spoon. It takes about five minutes. Scrape the toffee out onto the waxed paper and spread as thinly as possible with a spatula. Let harden. Chop into small bits and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350F/160C/gas mark 4. Line two-three baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Grind the flax seeds in a dry blender until they are a fine meal. Put the ground flax seeds in a deep mixing bowl (or stand mixer bowl) with the water and let sit to gel.
- Sift together flours, baking powder and soda, xanthan gum, and salt into a medium bowl. Stir in the almond meal.
- Cream the margarine, agave, maple sugar, and vanilla together with the flax meal (or eggs) using a stand mixer or electric beaters.
- Add the flour mixture; mix well until completely incorporated. Finely chop the pecans (except for the halves). Stir in pecans and toffee morsels. Refrigerate for one hour.
- Drop by level tablespoonfuls on prepared cookie sheets, then flatten slightly by pressing one pecan half in the center of each one. Bake in preheated oven 10-12 minutes until golden brown.
- Cool on wire racks. Store loosely covered.
- 129 calories
- 7 g fat
- 1 g saturated fat
- 2 g monounsaturated fat
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat
- 0 g trans fat
- 0 g cholesterol
- 158 mg sodium (63 mg sodium with salt omitted)
- 29 mg potassium
- 15 g carbohydrate
- 1 g fiber
- 10 g sugars
- 2 g protein
- 4 Weight Watchers Points Plus