My friend Jill recently moved to Rhode Island. When she mentioned on Facebook that she was having a bumper crop of rhubarb this year and didn’t know what to do with it, I said I’d be happy to take some off her hands. Three days later a box of rhubarb arrived for me to play with! Jill is 100% responsible for this recipe, due to her willingness to ship rhubarb across the country. The nice people at Oregon Fruit Products recently sent me some canned sour cherries to play with, so I thought it might add something special to this easy pie. You can use fresh or frozen strawberries, a can of water-packed sour cherries, and fresh rhubarb while it’s still in season. If you have a ton of rhubarb now, prep it and freeze it so you can enjoy lovely pies later in the summer.
vegan, gluten-free, low-sodium, reduced-sugar diets
- 3 cubs rhubarb fresh or frozen
- 2 cups strawberries fresh
- 1-3/4 cups cherries (sour) canned, water-packed
- 1/4 tsp sea salt kosher salt (omit for low-sodium diets)
- 1 cup agave syrup
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour (45 g)
- 1 lemons zest only
- Prepare your pie crust and set aside. Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F (204 C). Put the tapioca pearls into a blender and blend until they are very small.
- Wash the strawberries and use a paring knife to remove the green leaves and the white bit inside the stem. (This is called "hulling" strawberries.") Slice into 1/4" thick slices (0.6 cm) and set aside.
- Wash the rhubarb, dry, and slice into 1/2" thick slices (1.2 cm). Make sure you do not include any leaves, as they are toxic.
- Drain the cherries, reserving the juice for another use. Mix all the fruit in a bowl with the zest from one lemon, agave syrup, salt, and the ground tapioca. Toss well to mix.
- Put the pie crust into your pie dish. Pour in the filling. Put on the top crust and crimp well around the edges so it's completely sealed. Cut slits in the center to allow steam to escape.
- Bake for 20 minutes, then turn down the oven to 350 F (175 C) and bake for 20 minutes more. Check for doneness and to make sure the filling isn't boiling over. You can put a cookie sheet on the rack below to catch drips. Bake until the crust is golden and flaky and the filling is bubbling.
- Cool on a rack at least 15 minutes before slicing.
- 369 calories
- 16 g fat
- 2 g saturated fat
- 4 g monounsaturated fat
- 9 g polyunsaturated fat
- 0 g trans fat
- 0 g cholesterol
- 331 mg sodium (22 mg sodium with salt omitted)
- 356 mg potassium
- 57 g carbohydrate
- 5 g fiber
- 28 g sugars
- 3 g protein
- 3 Weight Watchers Points Plus