This topping was part of my vegan French toast recipe in the archives. It was so tasty I thought I should feature it on its own. Strawberry-kumquat compote is a light and fresh topping perfect for French toast, ice cream, shortcake, pancakes, or waffles. Enjoy!
low-sodium, paleo, gluten-free, reduced-sugar, vegan, vegetarian diets
- 8 ounces kumquats
- 8 ounces strawberries
- 1/2 cup pecans raw (50 g)
- 2 tbsp agave syrup or grade B maple syrup
- 1 tbsp cassis (fruit vinegar)
- Prepare the kumquats by washing well to remove any waxy coating (if store-bought). Home-grown kumquats just need a rinse. Trim off the ends of the kumquats, then stand up on one cut end and slice lengthwise. Peel the inner flesh and white pith away from the peel. Compost the flesh and pith; you will use only the peel, which is sweet. For a great step-by-step demo, see Recipe Girl's kumquat marmalade post.
- Thinly slice the peels and place in a bowl.
- Hull the strawberries using a paring knife to trim out the white center under the green leaves. Compost the tops. Thinly slice the strawberries. Tip: If you stand them cut side down it's easier to slice them lengthwise. Add to the bowl.
- Roughly chop the pecans and add to the bowl.
- Whisk the agave syrup and vinegar together, then pour over the fruit, tossing lightly.
- 92 calories
- 5 g fat
- 0 g saturated fat
- 3 g monounsaturated fat
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat
- 0 g trans fat
- 0 g cholesterol
- 3 mg sodium
- 150 mg potassium
- 11 g carbohydrate
- 3 g fiber
- 8 g sugars
- 1 g protein
- 2 Weight Watchers Points Plus