I thought it would be great for January to highlight this beautiful Thai cucumber salad, as people are looking for fresh-tasting foods when they reboot in the new year.
You can serve it with my tofu satay, exotic Thai rice bowl salad, or any of your favorite Thai or Southeast Asian dishes. I kept all the flavor while greatly reducing the sugar, adding fresh herbs for brightness. For a completely sugar-free version, omit the agave syrup and use stevia equal to 2 tsp sugar, or to your taste.
vegan, gluten-free, reduced-sugar, low-sodium (with salt omitted) diets
You might also like:
Thai cucumber salad from Paleo cupboard
Spicy cucumber salad with peanuts from Cooking Light
Thai-Inspired Hydrating Cucumber Salad with Roasted Spiced Chickpeas from Oh She Glows
Spicy Thai cucumber salad
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp agave syrup (use stevia for low-sugar and completely sugar-free diets)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt (omit for low-sodium diet)
- 3 tbsp water (filtered or spring)
- 2 cucumbers English or Persian if available
- 1 shallots
- 10 mint leaves (fresh) (1/4 cup)
- 6 sprigs cilantro (1/4 cup) fresh coriander
- 1 hot chiles (Habañero or similar)
- 1 ounce cashews toasted (2 tbsp), or peanuts
- Mix the first four ingredients in a serving bowl until well blended.
- Prep each ingredient and then add to the bowl: Peel the cucumbers, remove the ends, and cut in half lengthwise. Use a grapefruit spoon to remove the seeds.
- Peel the shallot and mince. Fry it lightly in a small nonstick skillet until golden brown with just a touch of oil to keep it from sticking.
- Wash the pepper, cut off the stem, and thinly slice into discs.
- Wash and dry the herbs; mince finely.
- Stir everything except the nuts together in the bowl.
- Let it stand 15 minutes for the flavors to develop. Garnish with chopped nuts.
- 104 calories (70 calories with stevia instead of agave syrup)
- 3 g fat (lower fat by using light coconut milk)
- 2 g saturated fat
- 1 g monounsaturated fat
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat
- 0 g trans fat
- 0 g cholesterol
- 286 mg sodium (5 mg without salt added)
- 304 mg potassium
- 18 g carbohydrate (10 g without agave syrup)
- 1 g fiber
- 12 g sugars (4 g without agave syrup)
- 3 g protein
- 3 Weight Watchers Points Plus (2 without agave and salt)