Super-fast dessert on the grill or grill pan.
This recipe was adapted from Cooking Light. I changed how they made the crema sauce. Their recipe uses actual Mexican crema; mine uses soaked cashews and adds the grilled peppers for a smooth spiciness. I love grilled fruit, so I fired up the grill pan and tried out some champagne (Ataulfo) mangoes.
Did you know that mangoes, whether they are labeled organic or not, are usually organic? That’s because of the nature of how and where they’re grown; they’re hand-picked, not grown as monocrops, and therefore almost never sprayed with pesticides. They’re also closely related to cashews; sometimes you can see the resemblance in the shape of the fruit.
After soaking the cashews, I blended them with lime juice and the grilled peppers to create a balanced spicy sauce that can be drizzled over the mangoes. It also makes a great dip or sauce for fish tacos, including my vegan fish tacos.
vegan or vegetarian, low-sodium, gluten-free, reduced-sugar diets
migraine diets (unless you skip the crema altogether)
You might also like:
Spicy grilled mango with cashew-lime "crema"
- 2 ounces cashews (1/2 cup) soaked for at least 30 minutes
- 1 jalapeño red, or medium-hot red chile pepper
- 2 mango ripe, any type
- 1/4 cup lime juice (fresh)
- 2 tsp ginger (fresh) minced
- cilantro fresh coriander, Chinese parsley, optional
- Cover cashews with filtered water and let soak at least 30 minutes, preferably 4 hours. Drain and rinse.
- Heat grill pan on medium-high.
- Cut pepper in half and remove core, seeds, and ribs.
- Grill pepper skin-side down until partially blackened, up to 10 minutes. Remove and put in the blender.
- Peel the mangoes, then slice lengthwise into 1/3" (8 mm) thick slices.
- Spray or oil the grill or grill pan with high-heat oil.
- Grill mangoes, without moving around, for 4 minutes on the first side, 2 minutes on the reverse side. Remove to serving platter.
- Add soaked, drained cashews, lime juice, ginger, and 1/2 cup (125 ml) water to blender with the grilled pepper. Blend, starting on low and then bringing up to high, until the sauce is thick and very smooth. Add additional filtered water 1 tbsp at a time until it's thick but pourable. To serve as shown, put into a squeeze bottle.
- Place grilled mango on serving platter. Drizzle sauce over. Top with lime zest, cilantro leaves, thinly sliced jalapeños, smoked paprika, freshly cracked black pepper, and a little high-quality sea salt.
- 151 calories
- 7 g fat
- 1 g saturated fat
- 3 g monounsaturated fat
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat
- 0 g trans fat
- 0 g cholesterol
- 4 mg sodium
- 277 mg potassium
- 24 g carbohydrate
- 3 g fiber
- 16 g sugars
- 3 g protein
- 4 Weight Watchers Points Plus