Want more fantastic dairy-free recipes? Check out my Twelve Terrific Dairy Substitutes, now on sale on Amazon.
This cheese holds up to grating, melted well in a grilled cheese sandwich, and tasted good on a pizza. While it didn’t melt on the pizza, we liked the rich smoky flavor.
vegan, gluten-free, low-sodium, reduced-sugar diets
How to make shredded vegan cheese
- 1 cup cashews raw (112 g)
- 1-1/2 cups water (filtered or spring) plus more for soaking
- 2 tsp agar agar powder OR 2 tbsp agar agar flakes
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup lemon juice (fresh)
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tsp smoked salt (omit for low-sodium diet)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Soak the cashews in filtered water (covering with an extra inch or so) at least 4 hours or overnight. Rinse and drain the cashews.
- Bring the water to a boil in a small saucepan and add the agar flakes or powder. Boil for one minute, stirring constantly. Turn down the heat to simmer and cook another 5 minutes, stirring constantly until the agar is dissolved completely.
- Put the drained cashews into the blender with all the remaining ingredients. Pour in the agar mixture, put on the lid and hold down the lid with a hot pad or towel. Blend on high until very smooth.
- At this point you can stir in other flavorings like minced dill, jalapenos, or cracked pepper.
- Pour into a glass dish that has been oiled or sprayed with vegetable oil. Refrigerate until firm. Remove the cheese by running a knife or spatula around the edge and it will pop out of the container. Store in an airtight glass or plastic container in the refrigerator and use within 5 days, like any fresh food.
- Grate this cheese using a box grater. It’s soft, so it might not hold up to grating in a food processor.
- Notes: Do NOT try substituting gelatin for the agar. According to one of my readers, bad things happen. Find agar powder online from a cooking supply store. You can use other nuts as well. Try almonds or hazelnuts (remove the skins after soaking).
- 45 calories
- 3 g fat
- 1 g saturated fat
- 2 g monounsaturated fat
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat
- 0 g trans fat
- 0 g cholesterol
- 126 mg sodium (1 mg sodium with salt omitted)
- 59 mg potassium
- 3 g carbohydrate
- 1 g fiber
- 1 g sugars
- 2 g protein
- 1 Weight Watchers Points Plus