I love pickles and beets, so this Cooking Light recipe inspired me. Fresh raw beets are sliced thin and combined with tiny watermelon cucumbers, then pickled with raspberry-infused wine to make raspberry pickled beets.
The original recipe is by Julianna Grimes for Cooking Light. Instead of roasting the beets, I kept them raw. I used white zinfandel instead of dry rosé and sugar, and used white balsamic vinegar because I didn’t have red wine vinegar. I have a large collection of vinegars in the pantry; despite that, it always seems like I don’t have the one a recipe calls for! Does this happen to you too?
vegan, gluten-free, low-sodium, raw, reduced-sugar diets
low-sodium or migraine diets
Today’s post is part of our mission to help you rebuild your health through food and lifestyle choices. Look for posts on Mondays featuring gluten-free, sugar-free recipes made with healthy plant-based ingredients, Tuesday reviews, Wednesday essays, Thursday how-to’s, and Flashback Fridays recipe posts plus monthly giveaways on the last Friday of the month. We support Meatless Monday.
Raspberry pickled beets
- 1 cup cucumbers watermelon or Persian (150 g)
- 1 tbsp black peppercorns (whole)
- 4 sprigs thyme (fresh)
- 1 cup raspberries
- 1-1/2 cups wine (rosé) rosé wine
- 1/3 cup white balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp kosher salt reduce to 1/4 tsp for low-sodium diets
- Scrub the beets and slice as thinly as you can using a sharp knife or mandoline.
- Wash the tiny cucumbers and drain.
- Place the beets, cucumbers, peppercorns, and thyme in a heatproof glass jar.
- Simmer the raspberries, wine, vinegar, and salt until the raspberries start to break down, about 8 minutes. Remove from heat; mash with a fork.
- Strain with a wire mesh strainer into the jar. Refrigerate overnight. The flavors will continue to develop. Refrigerate pickles like this; they keep about three months.
- 53 calories
- 0 g fat
- 0 g cholesterol
- 309 mg sodium (56 mg if reducing salt to 1/4 tsp)
- 42 mg potassium
- 9 g carbohydrate
- 2 g fiber
- 5 g sugars
- 1 g protein
- 1 Weight Watchers Points Plus