This recipe originally came from Shape Magazine. If you love these, buy extra cans of pumpkin now, as it’s a seasonal item. Trader Joe’s has organic canned pumpkin in stock. Freeze any extra waffles for a quick breakfast on the go. Just throw them in the toaster.
The renovation: I used Bob’s Red Mill All-purpose baking mix instead of the white flour, adding 2 T. buckwheat flour for more flavor and richness. I use agave syrup instead of the sugars, and a little less nutmeg. Soy milk (or rice milk) stands in for the nonfat milk in their recipe. To make it egg-free I’ve used ground flaxseed.
vegan, gluten-free, reduced-sugar diets
low-sodium or migraine diets
- 1 tbsp flax seeds (ground) or 1 egg
- 3/4 cup milk any kind
- 3/4 cup pumpkin purée
- 1/4 cup agave syrup (omit for diabetic diet)
- 1-1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1-1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ginger (dried)
- 1 tsp nutmeg (dried)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt can omit
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour (gluten-free) (145 g)
- 2 tbsp buckwheat flour oat flour, cornmeal (15 g)
- Preheat waffle maker.
- If using ground flax seeds as your egg replacer, put them in the dry blender and pulse until finely ground. Add 2 T. water and let sit five minutes. This creates your binder. Put the next nine ingredients (through salt) into the blender and pulse a few times until well blended. (If using egg, just put the first ten ingredients into the blender and pulse.)
- Pulse in the buckwheat flour, then the gluten-free blend just until mixed. Batter will thicken as it stands. Add more milk as needed.
- Follow the instructions for filling and baking your waffle iron, being careful to spray the iron each time with cooking spray. I use a 1/4 cup measure on each side of the waffle iron.
- Serve with a small amount of heart-healthy margarine and maple syrup. Diabetics can substitute a small amount of agave syrup instead of maple syrup.
- 182 calories
- 1 g fat
- 0 g saturated fat
- 0 g monounsaturated fat
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat
- 0 g trans fat
- 0 g cholesterol
- 434 mg sodium (336 mg sodium with salt omitted)
- 130 mg potassium
- 40 g carbohydrate
- 5 g fiber
- 13 g sugars
- 4 g protein
- 5 Weight Watchers Points Plus