Fall’s favorite spice, with zing—Pumpkin spice sweet potato fries
I’ve been wanting to make some kind of fall-spiced baked sweet potato fries for at least a month. Finally it was cool enough last week to turn the oven on and experiment. (It’s been 100 degrees for the last 3 days, so I’m glad I made these when I could.)
I took pumpkin spice mix and added some cayenne pepper, cumin, garlic powder, and a tiny bit of smoked salt. These are spicy, sweet, and just a little salty. The perfect snack or side dish, and also would be great on Thanksgiving too.
No need to peel the sweet potatoes, just scrub, then cut into rustic fry shapes. Keep them about the same size and thickness so they cook evenly. If you’re not sure how much heat you want, start with 1/8 teaspoon cayenne. If you’re following the migraine diet, check to make sure your pumpkin pie spice mixture doesn’t contain lemon peel, which can be a trigger.
Make your own pumpkin pie spice
Mix the following dried spices together:
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp cardamon
Store in a clean glass spice jar after mixing them thoroughly.
You might also like:
Pumpkin spice sweet potato fries
- 28 ounces sweet potatoes (2 potatoes) scrubbed and hand-cut into rustic fries
- 2 tbsp olive oil (extra virgin)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin (dried)
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (use 1/8 tsp if you don't want them too spicy)
- 1/8 tsp smoked salt finely ground in a mortar and pestle if possible
- Preheat the oven to 400F/200C/gas mark 6. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Put the oven rack in the top third of the oven if your heating element is at the bottom of your ovn, or in the middle if the heat comes from above.
- Scrub the sweet potatoes, lightly dry, then cut into rustic fries. Cut off any bruises or bad spots.
- Toss the fries in a large bowl with the olive oil, making sure they are completely coated.
- Mix all the spices together in a small bowl until one color.
- Sprinkle the spice mixture over the sweet potatoes, stirring and tossing with a large spoon, adding more until the fries are evenly coated with spices.
- Pour the fries onto the prepared sheets, making sure they are not touching each other.
- Bake for 10 minutes, stir, then bake another 10-15 minutes until the fries are crispy on the outside and soft inside when pierced with a fork. Serve with your favorite mayo as a dipping sauce.