Crisp-chewy peanut-butter cookies are topped with peanut butter cups or chocolate chunks, for a gluten-free (and vegan) version of this classic cookie. These cookies are featured in my book, Golden Angels: A Pet Loss Memoir.
These go by a number of names: thumbprints, peanut blossoms, peanut kiss cookies. By any name they are delicious. My friend Caroline used to make these at Christmas, and they were always a favorite of mine. Recently, when The Husband brought home a bag of mini peanut-butter cups, I decided to renovate this recipe to make it gluten-free. If you can find vegan peanut butter cups or vegan semi-sweet chocolate chunks, these cookies are vegan. For people with peanut allergies, you can use sunflower seed butter and just the chocolate chunks. Everyone wins!
vegan, gluten-free, low-sodium, reduced-sugar diets
low-sodium or migraine diets
All of our recipes are gluten-free, refined-sugar-free, and made with plant-based ingredients to help you build a healthy life. Look for midweek essays and giveaways on Fridays (when available). Today’s post is a recipe from my book: Golden Angels: A Pet Loss Memoir, now on sale for Amazon Kindle.
Peanut butter blossom cookies
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (gluten-free) sifted (110 g)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup Earth Balance (60 g)
- 1/4 cup peanut butter (natural) or sunflower seed butter (60 g)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar (organic) maple sugar, organic cane sugar (80 g)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp flax seeds (ground)
- 2 tbsp water (filtered or spring) (30 ml)
- 24 dark chocolate (semi-sweet) large chips, chunks, or peanut butter cups
- Preheat oven to 375F/170C/gas mark 5. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Sift together flour, baking powder and soda, and salt.
- Put the ground flax seeds in a deep mixing bowl (or stand mixer bowl) with the water. Let stand five minutes. Cream the margarine, nut butter, sugar, and vanilla together with the flax meal.
- Add the flour mixture; mix well. Chill in the freezer for 30-45 minutes until very firm.
- Take a level tablespoon of dough and roll between your palms into a round ball. Roll lightly in more of your granulated sugar. Place on the prepared cookie sheets, then flatten with your hand. Bake in preheated oven 8 minutes, rotating the pans at 4 minutes so the cookies bake evenly.
- While the cookies are baking, unwrap your chocolates.
- Pull out the warm cookies and press one chocolate into the center of each cookie. Return to the oven and bake 3-4 minutes more.
- Cool on wire racks. Store in metal cookie tins for best results.
- 111 calories
- 6 g fat
- 2 g saturated fat
- 1 g monounsaturated fat
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat
- 0 g trans fat
- 5 g cholesterol
- 250 mg sodium (201mg sodium with salt omitted)
- 2 mg potassium
- 14 g carbohydrate
- 2 g fiber
- 9 g sugars
- 2 g protein
- 3 Weight Watchers Points Plus