Hearty spicy Cajun-inspired dirty rice, without the rice!
One of The Husband’s favorite recipes is dirty rice, which I renovated years ago to be lower-fat and vegan. Now that we’re eating a much lower-carb, higher-fat, paleo approach to food, I thought I should revisit this favorite recipe and see how I could renovate it again. This time using pre-made frozen cauliflower “rice” and turkey chorizo from Diestel Farms. Buying two pre-made elements made the prep on this dirty rice recipe super fast, and we both loved the flavor. I tend to make this dish whenever I get to the center of the celery and find stalks with lots of leaves, since celery leaves add one of the key flavors to this dish. Serious paleo peeps could definitely add bacon to this if you wanted to make it even richer and fattier.
paleo, low-sodium, migraine, gluten-free, celiac diets
Not recommended for:
vegan or vegetarian diets
You might also like:
Paleo dirty rice
- 2 tbsp olive oil (extra virgin) or rendered high-quality bacon fat
- 1-1/2 cups celery diced, with leaves (about 4 stalks)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 bell peppers red, diced
- 16 ounces turkey chorizo Diestel Farms
- 3 cups cauliflower (riced)
- 16 ounces kale or Swiss chard, chopped
- 2 tbsp cilantro can sub fresh Italian flat-leaf parsley if you hate cilantro
- 1/2 cup chicken stock (low-sodium) (if dry)
- Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat until shimmering.
- Sauté the celery for five minutes until softening and golden. Add the garlic, bell peppers and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the turkey and cook, breaking up, for 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients and cook for 25 minutes until the flavors are melded.
- Serve at once. This freezes well and makes excellent lunches or dinners.