No need to toss those pumpkin seeds you’re scooping out of the shell for Halloween. They make a great, easy snack! My thanks to Elise Bauer of Simply Recipes for the original instructions on boiling them before roasting.
Roasted pumpkin seeds
- 2 cups pumpkin seeds RAW, WHOLE (from inside a pumpkin)
- 4 tbsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp curry powder mild
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp smoked salt can omit to lower the sodium
- 1 tsp nutritional yeast optional
- Clean the seeds by soaking them in a big bowl of water, and removing any stringy bits that are attached. Do a second rinse and let the seeds rise to the top, skimming them off with a slotted spoon or a kitchen spider. Drain.
- Put the seeds into a large pot with 8 cups of water and 4 T. salt. It sounds like a lot, but this boiling step is what helps get the salt absorbed into the seeds, otherwise they taste really bland. Boil for 10 minutes, then drain.
- Preheat the oven to 400F/180C/gas mark 6. Mix the spices together in a small bowl.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and spray with olive oil spray. Spread out the seeds in an even layer. Spray the tops. Sprinkle evenly with the spice mixture, stirring to coat everything.
- Bake for 10 minutes, stir, then bake another 10-15 minutes until the seeds are dry, crunchy, and golden brown. Enjoy!