For me, hot sauce conjures up street tacos, ice-cold Coronas with lime, and a hint of a runny nose. Maybe a tear or two. You don’t have to make this from the hottest chiles you can find. But if you do, don’t say I didn’t warn you! I figure if I’m going to make it, I might as well make it hot.
Just a drop or two is enough for me, but The Hubs goes full-tilt bottle on this stuff. He recently referreed a hot wings eating contest at work, with the guys competing in a doofusly Man vs. Food kind of way. One of the contestants said that this sauce was hotter than anything he’d ever eaten. So there.
I adapted this recipe from Martha Stewart Living magazine.
vegan, gluten-free, low-sodium, reduced-sugar diets
What do you like hot sauce on? How hot can you stand it?
All of our recipes are gluten-free, sugar-free, and made with plant-based ingredients to help you build a healthy life. Look for midweek posts on meditation, service, and life lessons, helping you create inner balance.
How to make wicked hot sauce
- 8 hot chiles (Habañero or similar)
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp agave syrup honey, brown rice syrup
- 1 tsp sea salt (omit for low-sodium diets)
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- Wearing gloves, wash the chiles and remove the stems. I leave the seeds and ribs in for maximum hotness. If you want less heat, remove the ribs and seeds and use less spicy peppers, like cayennes.
- Put everything into a non-aluminum pot (aluminum or copper will react to the acid and make it taste terrible and metallic). Bring to a boil, then turn down to a simmer.
- Cook for about 20 minutes, stirring a few times, until everything is tender. Let it cool.
- Put in a blender and blend until super-smooth.
- Pour into a freshly washed glass bottle and refrigerate. Lasts about six months.
- 20 calories
- 0 g fat
- 0 g saturated fat
- 0 g monounsaturated fat
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat
- 0 g trans fat
- 0 g cholesterol
- 281 mg sodium (0 mg sodium with salt omitted)
- 10 mg potassium
- 5 g carbohydrate
- 0 g fiber
- 1 g sugars
- 1 g protein
- 3 Weight Watchers Points Plus