Once you have really good homemade tomato sauce, you’ll never want to buy it again. You can make this from good quality canned tomatoes, or from fresh garden tomatoes when you have access to them. Thanks to Ricki Heller for featuring this on her blog.
vegan, gluten-free, reduced-sugar, low-sodium, and migraine diets
Chunky homemade tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp olive oil (extra virgin) organic, extra virgin
- 2 shallots large
- 2 cloves garlic
- 28 ounces tomatoes
- 1 tsp oregano (dried)
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 handfuls basil leaves (fresh) about 1/4 cup
- Peel the papery skin off the shallots and garlic and mince finely.
- Wash and spin dry the basil, then roll up in a kitchen towel while you are working.
- Heat oil in a medium pan and sauté shallots and garlic for 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, oregano, and pepper and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Cut the basil into ribbons or finely chop.
- Remove sauce from heat and stir in basil.
- May be frozen.
- 80 calories
- 5 g fat
- 0 g cholesterol
- 17 mg sodium
- 266 mg potassium
- 8 g carbohydrate
- 2 g fiber
- 4 g sugars
- 1 g protein
- 2 Weight Watchers Points Plus