This week’s recipe renovation from Cooking Light is grilled peaches with honey cream, scented with cardamom and garnished with mint and raspberries. A delightful summer dessert, and a great way to use too-hard grocery store peaches. You can also use nectarines.
The renovation: I used Earth Balance vegan margarine instead of butter, and my cashew yogurt in place of the Greek yogurt and half-and-half. If you don’t want to make your own yogurt, get vanilla coconut milk yogurt and omit the vanilla. If you don’t eat honey, substitute brown rice syrup. Omit the kosher salt for low-sodium version (but use low-sodium yogurt).
vegan, gluten-free, low-sodium, reduced-sugar diets
Today’s post is part of our mission to help you rebuild your health through food and lifestyle choices. Look for posts on Mondays featuring gluten-free, sugar-free recipes made with healthy plant-based ingredients, Tempting Tuesday photos, Wednesday essays, Thursday how-to’s, and Flashback Fridays recipe posts. We support Meatless Monday.
Grilled peaches with cardamom-honey cream
- 2 tbsp Earth Balance
- 2 tbsp honey divided
- 1/4 tsp cardamom seeds ground
- 1 dash sea salt kosher salt
- 4 peaches medium
- 1/2 cup yogurt plain fat-free Greek, cashew, or coconut yogurt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup raspberries (120 g)
- 1 sprig mint leaves (fresh)
- Combine melted Earth Balance, 1 T. (15 ml) honey, cardamom, and salt in a medium saucepan over low heat, until margarine is melted. Mix well.
- Wash the peaches and cut in half with a paring knife along the seam. Twist the halves in opposite directions until the peach opens. Remove the pit with your knife.
- Add peaches to the pan and toss to coat. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Wash and spin dry the mint leaves. Wash the raspberries and drain well.
- Heat a grill pan or counter-top grill over medium heat. Coat with cooking spray. Arrange peaches on grill pan; grill 2 minutes on each side or until grill marks appear.
- Combine yogurt, remaining 1 T. (15 ml) honey, and vanilla in a small bowl; stir with a whisk. Drizzle over peaches and raspberries, top with mint leaves.
- 175 calories
- 5 g fat
- 2 g cholesterol
- 135 mg sodium (61 mg sodium with kosher salt omitted)
- 418 mg potassium
- 31 g carbohydrate
- 5 g fiber
- 26 g sugars
- 5 g protein
- 5 Weight Watchers Points Plus