Grilled eggplant blends with walnuts, pomegranate molasses, and fresh pomegranate seeds to make a rich creamy dip with sweet-tart notes. The jewel-like seeds add crunch and juicy freshness to each bite.
vegan, gluten-free, low-sodium, reduced-sugar diets
All of our recipes are gluten-free, sugar-free, and made with plant-based ingredients to help you build a healthy life. Look for midweek posts on meditation, service, and life lessons, helping you create inner balance.
Grilled eggplant and pomegranate dip
- 1 eggplants (500 g)
- 1/2 cup walnuts raw (60 g)
- 1 lemons
- 1 tbsp pomegranate molasses
- 1 tbsp olive oil (extra virgin)
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp sea salt kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 pomegranate arils from one pomegranate
- Wash the eggplant and slice off each end. Cut even slices lengthwise (3/4"-1" thick/2-3 cm). (It's more important for them to be cut evenly from end to end and with each other than the actual thickness.)
- Heat a grill, grill pan or heavy skillet on medium-high heat. Spray one side of each slice, then lay the sprayed side down on the hot grill. Grill 10-12 minutes per side, until the eggplant is cooked through and very soft. Thinner slices and the two end slices will cook more quickly. Spray the top side just before flipping, so it doesn't soak up the oil spray. Set aside to cool.
- Juice the lemon. You will use up to 1/4 C. (60 ml) of the fresh juice, to taste.
- Peel the garlic cloves. Place the eggplant, walnuts, molasses, olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper in a food processor or blender, and add 1 T. (15 ml) of the lemon juice. Start processing, stopping frequently to scrape the sides down. Add additional juice as needed, tasting after incorporating each addition. You can leave the sauce chunky for a dip, or blend it very smooth for a spread, to your liking. Allow the flavors to blend at least 30 minutes before serving at room temperature.
- When ready to serve, stir in the seeds from one pomegranate, reserving some for the top.
- 102 calories
- 7 g fat
- 1 g saturated fat
- 2 g monounsaturated fat
- 4 g polyunsaturated fat
- 0 g trans fat
- 0 g cholesterol
- 332 mg sodium (2 mg sodium with salt omitted)
- 188 mg potassium
- 10 g carbohydrate
- 3 g fiber
- 6 g sugars
- 2 g protein
- 3 Weight Watchers Points Plus