Dirty Rice is a New Orleans dish loaded with sausage and butter. A woman I used to work with named Monica adapted this recipe, which is one of the hubby’s faves. I tend to make it when I have celery to use up, as it’s one of my only recipes that calls for celery leaves. This freezes beautifully in single-serving containers for lunch.
The renovation: Monica did the heavy lifting. I have made it meatless by using soy chorizo instead of turkey bacon and ground turkey, and I always use brown rice (or a brown/wild rice mix) for more fiber and nutrition.
vegan, gluten-free, reduced-sugar diets
low-sodium or migraine diets
All of our recipes are gluten-free, sugar-free, and made with plant-based ingredients to help you build a healthy life. Look for midweek posts on meditation and life lessons, helping you create inner balance.
Dirty rice: Meatless Monday
- 2 bell peppers red
- 4 stalks celery with leaves
- 1 bunch kale Swiss chard
- 1 onions large, white, brown, yellow
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp hot sauce Tabasco, El Tapatio, Frank's
- 1 tsp cumin (dried)
- 1 tsp oregano (dried)
- 6 ounces soy chorizo (or quinrizo) quinrizo, see notes
- 2 cups vegetable stock (low-sodium)
- 1 cup brown rice (225 g)
- Wash and dice the peppers, celery, and greens.
- Peel the onion and dice it into 1/2" pieces.
- Sauté the onions and celery 10 minutes over medium-high heat in a large nonstick pan with a lid.
- Add the peppers, greens, and spices and cook for 5 minutes more. Add the soy chorizo and stock and bring to a simmer.
- Rinse and drain 1 cup of rice (jasmine, basmati, or brown). Add the rinsed rice and cook until the rice is done (20 minutes for white rice, 45 minutes for brown.)
- 164 calories
- 5 g fat
- 1 g saturated fat
- 0 g monounsaturated fat
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat
- 0 g trans fat
- 0 g cholesterol
- 533 mg sodium (reduce sodium by using quinrizo & salt-free broth)
- 550 mg potassium
- 25 g carbohydrate
- 5 g fiber
- 5 g sugars
- 8 g protein
- 4 Weight Watchers Points Plus