If only pubs actually served these… crispy, spicy, sweet and savory plantain chips make the perfect bar snack. Oven-baking means they are still healthy. Bottoms up! Looking for more healthy snacks and recipes? Check out my Twelve Terrific Detox Recipes, which is on sale on Amazon right now.
If you’ve never had plantains, they are related to bananas, but are much starchier and can be baked, grilled, or pan-fried. They can have black skins or be yellow with lots of dark spots, just not squishy when you buy them. See how-to photos below.
vegan, gluten-free, low-sodium, reduced-sugar diets
A special thanks to Rancho’s Cocina North Park for loaning me the perfect little galvanized buckets to use as props for this shot. If you are in San Diego and want healthy Mexican food, please visit them. They are terrific! House-made salsa, soy chorizo, tons of vegan options, and the best molé sauce in town.
All of our recipes are gluten-free, refined-sugar-free, and made with plant-based ingredients to help you build a healthy life. We support Meatless Monday. Look for Tuesday reviews, Wednesday essays, Thursday how-to’s, and Friday giveaways (when available).
Caribbean-spiced crispy baked plantain chips
- 2 tbsp olive oil (extra virgin)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice (fresh)
- 1 tbsp curry powder mild or medium (5 g)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt (omit for low-sodium diets)
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika pimenton
- 1/4 tsp chipotle powder
- 3 plantains large
- Preheat oven to 450F/230C/gas mark 7. Cover a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk all the ingredients—except the plantains—together in a large bowl.
- Peel the plantains.
- Remove any soft spots.
- Slice diagonally, about the thickness of your first finger.
- Toss the plantain slices in the spice mixture until completely coated.
- Place on the baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes.
- Flip the plantains and bake another 10 minutes until crispy and brown.
- Serve immediately.
- 226 calories
- 7 g fat
- 0 g cholesterol
- 300 mg sodium (9 mg sodium with salt omitted )
- 682 mg potassium
- 43 g carbohydrate
- 3 g fiber
- 20 g sugars
- 2 g protein
- 6 Weight Watchers Points Plus