I have to give a shout-out here to People’s Organic Foods Co-Op in Ocean Beach, because this began as their recipe. I’ve tweaked it a little, including using marsala wine (thank you to Tanya of Leafy Greens and Me for that tip). If you’re ever in San Diego, visit their cafe, where you can have some of this gravy on something delicious. I have been known to make an entire pot of this just to eat it on toast. But not when The Husband’s home, as to him it looks too much like s*#t on a shingle, reminding him of his Navy days.
vegan, gluten-free, reduced-sugar diets
low-sodium or migraine diets
Creamy mushroom gravy
- 1 tbsp dark toasted sesame oil
- 1 tbsp olive oil (extra virgin)
- 2 onions (dried) yellow (400 g)
- 8-12 ounces mushrooms cremini or button
- 1/2 cup wine (marsala or madeira)
- 3 ribs celery
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 3/4 tsp sage (dried) or 1 tbsp minced fresh sage leaves
- 3 tbsp Bragg's liquid aminos (or tamari)
- 2 cups vegetable stock (low-sodium)
- 2 cups soy milk
- 6 tbsp oat flour (gluten-free)
- 6 tbsp nutritional yeast
- Wash and dry the mushrooms and slice very thinly. Wash the celery, trim off the ends, and slice thinly.
- Slice off the stem end of the onions, then set it cut side down and slice in half lengthwise. Peel back the skin, then chop into small dice.
- Heat the oil in a large, deep sauté pan. Add onions and celery and saute for 5-8 minutes until everything is golden. Remove from the pan and set aside. Add the mushrooms and sauté until golden. (You want to give the mushrooms plenty of space to release their liquid or else they get soggy.)
- Deglaze the pan with the wine, and cook until almost dry. Add the onion mixture back into the pan with the spices.
- Sauté for 1 more minute.
- Add the Braggs®, vegetable broth, and 1 cup of the soymilk. Bring to a boil.
- In a small bowl, combine the rest of the soy milk, flour, and yeast. Whisk together until smooth, then whisk in to the pot. Heat until thickened. Remove from heat; it will thicken as it stands.
- 39 calories
- 2 g fat
- 0 g saturated fat
- 0 g monounsaturated fat
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat
- 0 g trans fat
- 0 g cholesterol
- 147 mg sodium (27 mg sodium with Bragg's/tamari omitted)
- 110 mg potassium
- 4 g carbohydrate
- 1 g fiber
- 1 g sugars
- 2 g protein
- 1 Weight Watchers Points Plus