Beautiful healthy soup from a lovely new healing detox book.
I had the great pleasure of meeting Amie Valpone at the Dole Salad Summit a few years back. Amie writes the popular Healthy Apple blog, and is a pioneer in healing herself through diet. There were a few of us who were on restricted diets for health reasons, so we tended to sit together at meals to make it easier for the restaurants. I’m super excited to be sharing Amie’s recipe from her new book Eating Clean: The 21-Day Plan to Detox, Fight Inflammation, and Reset Your Body, which I will review later this month (it’s not out yet!) and give away on March 31st. You can pre-order Amie’s book here.
While it’s feeling summery here in San Diego, I know that March can still be gloomy in the northern states, so I thought this would be a wonderful harbinger of spring coming soon.
Here’s what Amie says about this soup:
Dipping your spoon into this bell pepperâ€“sweet potato combo is like dipping into a bowl of sunshine. It’s stunning—and the perfect antidote to a gloomy winter’s day. This soup also freezes well, so if you’re not serving a crowd, store the leftovers for a later date (or make a double batch). I like to enjoy this soup accompanied by my Massaged Kale Salad with Spicy Hazelnuts.
Amie suggests garnishing the soup with her gluten-free herbed croutons, sliced avocado, chopped cilantro, and/or her Seriously Sensational Sriracha Sauce.
Text excerpted from EATING CLEAN, © 2016 by AMIE VALPONE. Reproduced by permission of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. All rights reserved.
vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free, celiac diets
Not recommended for:
paleo, low-sodium, migraine diets
You might also like:
Golden bell pepper soup from Eating Clean by Amie Valpone
- 1/4 cup olive oil (extra virgin)
- 1/2 onions small, diced
- 2 carrots medium, peeled and diced
- 1 stalk celery diced
- 8 bell peppers (capsicum) red, yellow, or orange
- 1 sweet potatoes large, peeled and chopped
- 4 cups vegetable stock (low-sodium)
- 3 tsp marjoram (fresh) finely chopped
- In a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion, carrot, celery, and a pinch of sea salt and black pepper.
- Cook until the vegetables are tender, about 4 minutes.
- Add the bell peppers and cook until soft, about 6 minutes.
- Add the sweet potatoes and broth. Season with sea salt and black pepper, cover the pot, and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat and add the marjoram. Simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Let the soup cool slightly, and then, in batches, transfer to a blender and puree until smooth. If needed, thin the soup with water.
- Adjust the seasoning with sea salt and black pepper if necessary.
- Return the soup to the pot to keep warm until serving.
- Serve garnished with the Herbed Croutons and, if desired, the avocado and cilantro on top and Seriously Sensational Sriracha Sauce on the side.