This fresh bright arugula-apple salad was inspired by Nancy Hachisu’s Japanese Farm Food. Sweet and crunchy apple chunks and thin carrot ribbons balance out the peppery arugula. The walnut-miso dressing is rich and comforting.
I’ll be reviewing and giving away the glorious Japanese Farm Food cookbook at the end of the month. For now, enjoy this farm-fresh salad with Japanese influences, inspired by one of the author’s dressings.
vegan, gluten-free, reduced-sugar diets
low-sodium or migraine diets
All of our recipes are gluten-free, refined-sugar-free, and made with plant-based ingredients to help you build a healthy life. We support Meatless Monday. Look for Tuesday reviews, Wednesday essays, Thursday how-to’s, and Friday giveaways (when available).
Here is Nancy’s gorgeous book if you want to take a peek: Japanese Farm Food
Arugula-apple salad with carrot ribbons and walnut-miso dressing
- 6 tbsp walnuts raw (42 g)
- 2 tbsp miso any kind (30 g)
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar also called rice vinegar
- 8 cups arugula
- 4 apples large, crisp
- 4 carrots medium or large
- Place the walnuts, miso, and rice wine vinegar in the blender with 2 tablespoons filtered water and blend until smooth. Add more water 1 tablespoon at a time to get a pourable but still thick consistency.
- Wash and spin dry the arugula if necessary. Pre-bagged arugula should already be clean and ready to eat. Place a large pile on each salad plate.
- Peel the carrot, then use the peeler to cut ribbons directly onto the salad plates.
- Wash the apple. Right before serving, dice the apple and add to the plates. Add dressing.
- 121 calories
- 4 g fat
- 0 g cholesterol
- 277 mg sodium
- 454 mg potassium
- 20 g carbohydrate
- 4 g fiber
- 13 g sugars
- 3 g protein
- 3 Weight Watchers Points Plus