Bright, fresh, herby potato salad; can easily be vegan
For Memorial Day, I wanted to use some of these fun potatoes for a patriotic spin on potato salad. Frieda’s Produce was kind enough to send me a package of their Star Spangled Spuds. I wanted a dressing that was fresh and bright, and a salad with nice crunch.
As I searched for inspiration, I saw some radishes in the fridge. I never liked them as a kid, but in my quest to develop a taste for sharp and bitter foods, I confess I am beginning to love radishes. I cook the greens when I bring a bunch home and then cut up one or two radishes in our salads each day. For some reason, I decided to grate a radish as the starting point for this dressing, which uses egg-free mayo as the base. The radish adds bright sharp notes that bring out the best in these creamy potatoes, while the fresh herbs and celery provide crunch. For the migraine diet, omit the vinegar.
Happy Memorial Day and say thank you to a service member if you see one.
Required FTC disclosure: At my request, Frieda’s Produce sent me two pounds of their Star Spangled Spuds for this recipe. I was not paid to write this post.
all diets (depending on the type of mayo)
You might also like:
Red, white, and blue potato salad with peppery radish dressing
- 2 pounds potatoes red, white, blue potatoes, cut into uniform chunks
- 3 ribs celery thinly sliced
- 1 onions (green) scallions, spring onions, thinly sliced
- 1 handful Italian flat-leaf parsley (fresh) finely chopped
Peppery radish dressing
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise vegan and egg-free are both fine
- 1 radishes finely grated, collect juice
- 2 tbsp olive oil (extra virgin)
- 1 tbsp vinegar white balsamic or apple cider
- 1/4 tsp black pepper freshly ground
- Cook the potatoes either by steaming in a steamer basket until just barely fork-tender (about 15 minutes) or pressure cooking on high for 4 minutes (use 1 cup water in bottom and steamer basket; turn off heat after pressure cooking for 4 minutes, let sit for 5 minutes before releasing valve). I separated the blue potatoes while cooking so they wouldn't stain the others. Let cool.
- Add potatoes to bowl with celery, green onions, and parsley.
- Add all dressing ingredients to a jar with a tightly fitting lid and shake until well blended. Pour over salad and gently toss.
- Keep refrigerated until ready to serve. Note that vegan and egg-free mayo is much safer for outdoor picnics and BBQs.