A true clafoutis (pronounced kla-foo-TEE) is made with fresh black cherries, rich custard, and dusted with powdered sugar. They originated in the Limousin region of France. When made with other fruit, it is called a flaugnarde (flo-nyard). I renovated this recipe to be both gluten-free, totally vegan (egg-free), and soy-free. I got inspiration from Karina at Gluten-free Goddess and Kristina at Spabettie.
While I did make this in a cheesecake pan and flipped it over, I would actually recommend using a cast iron skillet and serving it straight from the pan. It’s topped with So Delicious vanilla ice cream in the photo.
Today’s post is part of our mission to help you rebuild your health through food and lifestyle choices. Look for posts on Mondays featuring gluten-free, sugar-free recipes made with healthy plant-based ingredients, Tuesday reviews, Wednesday essays, Thursday how-to’s, and giveaways on the last Friday of each month.
- 2 tbsp Ener-G egg replacer
- 12-14 plums small, ripe
- 1/4 cup sweet sorghum flour (34 g)
- 1/4 cup coconut flour (28 g)
- 3/4 cup soy milk or other non-dairy milk
- 1/4 cup honey brown rice syrup
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg (dried)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt (omit for low sodium diets)
- 1 tbsp Earth Balance
- 1 tbsp honey brown rice syrup
- Whisk 1/2 cup (125 ml) filtered water into the egg replacer in a medium mixing bowl until smooth.
- Set the oven to 350F/180C/gas mark 4 and put the cast iron skillet in the oven to preheat.
- Wash the plums. Cut in half and remove the pits using a paring knife. See this post on how to pit plums.
- Add the flours, milk, syrup, extract, nutmeg, and salt to the bowl and whisk until smooth.
- Once the oven has reached temperature, remove the skillet with a hot pad and add the Earth Balance and honey/syrup, swirling to coat evenly. Place the plums cut sides down in the pan and cook for a minute or two to caramelize. Pour over the batter and place the pan in the oven.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until firm and set. Serve warm with optional vanilla ice cream.
- 147 calories
- 2 g fat
- 0 g cholesterol
- 197 mg sodium (32 mg sodium with sea salt omitted)
- 199 mg potassium
- 30 g carbohydrate
- 3 g fiber
- 22 g sugars
- 3 g protein
- 3 Weight Watchers Points Plus
Gluten-free cherry clafoutis (with eggs) from Gluten-Free Goddess
Berry clafoutis (with silken tofu) from Spabettie