I used cashew “ricotta” to make this vegan, gluten-free lasagne. Yum!
Want more recipes like this in a beautiful, easy format for your iPad or color tablet?
Color tablet? Buy the PDF for $1.99 here Twelve Terrific Dairy Substitutes: Gluten-Free and Vegan
iPad? Buy the enhanced multi-touch iPad version for $2.99. Includes 3 how-to videos!
vegan, gluten-free, low-sodium, reduced-sugar diets
Today’s post is part of our mission to help you rebuild your health through food and lifestyle choices. Look for posts on Mondays featuring gluten-free, sugar-free recipes made with healthy plant-based ingredients, Wednesday essays, and Friday giveaways (when available).
How to make vegan ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup cashews raw (75 g)
- 2 tbsp flax seeds (ground)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice (fresh)
- 2 tbsp olive oil (extra virgin)
- 1 pound tofu silken or soft
- Put the flax seeds in a bowl with 4 T. (60 ml) filtered water and set aside.
- Cover the cashews with filtered water and let sit about 30 minutes.
- Drain the cashews and put them in a blender or food processor.
- Add the soaked flax seeds, lemon juice, and oil. Blend until it is a smooth consistency. (If you have a wimpy blender, you may need to add some filtered water to help it along.)
- Add the tofu a large chunk at a time, blending well after each addition.
- If you are making lasagne, you can add 2 cloves of garlic and a generous pinch of dried basil and oregano to the blender.
- 87 calories
- 7 g fat
- 1 g saturated fat
- 3 g monounsaturated fat
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat
- 0 g trans fat
- 0 g cholesterol
- 7 mg sodium
- 61 mg potassium
- 4 g carbohydrate
- 1 g fiber
- 0 g sugars
- 3 g protein
- 2 Weight Watchers Points Plus