Who doesn’t love chocolate chip cookies? They are such a classic. While these aren’t strictly sugar-free (because the chocolate chunks or chips do have organic sugar), they are a once-in-a-while treat that totally satisfies. Almond meal helps create a crisp classic cookie without any bean flour.
I also used sweet sorghum flour, as it’s a nice substitute for wheat flour, especially in cookies. Balanced with the almond meal and the oats, this recipe would fool anyone into thinking they’re regular cookies. Flaxmeal stands in for the eggs, and vegan margarine for the butter.
vegan, gluten-free diets
low-sodium or migraine diets
- 1 cup sweet sorghum flour sifted (110 g)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/2 cup almond flour (70 g)
- 1 tbsp flax seeds (ground) PLUS 2 tbsp filtered water OR 1 egg
- 1/2 cup Earth Balance vegan butter (115 g)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar (organic) maple sugar
- 1/4 cup agave syrup
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup rolled oats (gluten-free) gluten-free
- 6 ounces dark chocolate (semi-sweet) chips or morsels, or chocolate bar, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350F/160C/gas mark 4. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Sift together flour, baking powder and soda, xanthan gum, and salt. Stir in almond meal.
- Put the ground flax seeds in a deep mixing bowl (or stand mixer bowl) with the water and let stand five minutes. Cream the margarine, agave, maple sugar, and vanilla together with the flax meal.
- Add the flour mixture; mix well. Stir in oats and chocolate morsels. If using chocolate bars, roughly chop the chocolate before adding.
- Drop by level tablespoonfuls on prepared baking sheets, then flatten with the bottom of a glass that has been greased and floured (they do not really spread). Bake in preheated oven 10 minutes.
- Cool on wire racks. Store loosely covered.
- 67 calories
- 3 g fat
- 1 g saturated fat
- 0 g monounsaturated fat
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat
- 0 g trans fat
- 0 g cholesterol
- 59 mg sodium
- 17 mg potassium
- 9 g carbohydrate
- 1 g fiber
- 5 g sugars
- 1 g protein
- 2 Weight Watchers Points Plus