While the fresh asparagus is still in season, make this quick, elegant cream of asparagus soup. It’s completely dairy-free, and still absolutely luscious. So fast and easy. Serve this at a fancy brunch; no one will ever suspect it’s vegan.
I made the pictured soup using cashew sour cream, but you can also use all coconut milk for the migraine-friendly version. Garnish with asparagus tips and fresh chives if desired.
all diets (with modifications below)
Cream of asparagus soup
- 8 ounces asparagus spears
- 1-1/4 cups coconut milk can use rice milk
- 1/2 cup cashew cream sub coconut milk for migraine diet
- 1/2 tsp sea salt (omit for low-sodium diet)
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- Wash the asparagus and shake it dry. Use a peeler to remove any tough stems, and trim a bit off the bottoms. Cut in half.
- Fill a large pot about halfway full with salted water and bring to a rolling boil. Drop in the asparagus and cook for 4 minutes. Pour into a colander or strainer and rinse with cold water. Let drain.
- Trim off the tips of the stalks and set aside. Roughly chop the asparagus. Place all the other ingredients in a blender with the asparagus pieces and blend until perfectly smooth. Warm on low heat or in a microwave until just hot, then stir in or top each bowl with the reserved tips.