Gone grain-free and missing cookies? Try these low-sugar cacao nib cookies!
Using cacao nibs and coconut sugar means they’re not super sweet, and the combination of the new Bob’s Red Mill Paleo Baking Flour, NuNaturals NuNana organic green banana flour (loaded with resistant starch), and almond flour means you’re getting more nutrition in the cookie than empty carbs. You can also taste the rich, slightly bitter notes from the chocolate that’s normally masked by all the sugar. Enjoy these as a healthy treat once in a while (maybe on Halloween, so you don’t dive into the candy bowl).
paleo, low-sodium, grain-free, gluten-free, celiac diets
Not recommended for:
vegan, vegetarian, dairy-free, migraine diets
You might also like:
Paleo cacao nib cookies
- 1 tbsp flax seeds (ground) PLUS 2 tbsp filtered water OR 1 egg
- 1/2 cup paleo flour (Bob's Red Mill) (50 g)
- 1/2 cup almond flour (70 g)
- 1/2 cup green banana flour NuNaturals (84 g)
- 1 tsp baking soda (sodium-free)
- 1 tsp psyllium husk powder
- 1/2 cup butter (unsalted) grass-fed (120 g)
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar (organic) (96 g)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup Grade B dark
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 4 ounces cacao nibs (1/2 cup)
- Preheat oven to 350F/160C/gas mark 4. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone sheets. Place the rack in the middle of the oven.
- Put the ground flax seeds in a deep mixing bowl (or stand mixer bowl) with the water and let stand five minutes.
- Whisk together flours, baking soda substitute, and psyllium husk powder in a medium bowl until one uniform color.
- Cream the margarine, coconut sugar, honey, and vanilla together with the flax gel.
- Add the flour mixture; mix well. Stir in cacao nibs.
- Drop by level scoops (about 2 tablespoonfuls each for these larger cookies) on prepared baking sheets, then use the oily side of the butter wrapper and the bottom of a glass to flatten each cookie (they do not really spread). Bake in preheated oven 10 minutes.
- Cool on wire racks. Store in a plastic or glass lidded container. These freeze well.