Sometimes, I spend several tries working the kinks out of a recipe. And sometimes I get lucky and they are just happy accidents. I had almost nothing fresh in the house, I was late coming home, I was starving… you know the drill. You can make this sauce in the time it takes to cook the pasta. It’s rich, creamy, flavorful… decadent, really. You’ll never believe it has only three ingredients!
Make sure you include some kind of fresh herb with this… you need it to cut through the richness. If you don’t have fresh basil, try oregano or parsley.
vegan, gluten-free, low-sodium, reduced-sugar diets
Make sure you choose a nutritional yeast that’s gluten-free, like Bragg’s.
Quick sun-dried tomato cream sauce
- 1/2 cup cashews raw (60 g)
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes oil-packed (40 g) drained (or dried ones, see below)
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 handful basil leaves (fresh) plus oregano or parsley if you have them
- 1 tsp sea salt (omit for low-sodium diet)
- 4 ounces brown rice pasta rotini
- Cover the cashews with filtered water while you're making the pasta.
- Wash the basil or other herb and roll it up in a kitchen towel.
- Put on the water for pasta, salting it generously. When it comes to a rolling boil, add your favorite pasta. I use Trader Joe's brown rice rotini a LOT. Set the timer for 10 minutes (or whatever your package says), stirring every few minutes to keep it from sticking.
- When you have 3 minutes left on the timer, measure out the sun-dried tomatoes, reserving a few for the top.
- Put the drained cashews in the blender with the tomatoes, the nutritional yeast, and about a cup of pasta water. Blend until smooth.
- Drain the pasta, add to bowls, top with sauce, reserved tomatoes, and snipped fresh basil or other herbs. Dinner is served!
- 381 calories
- 15 g fat
- 3 g saturated fat
- 7 g monounsaturated fat
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat
- 0 g trans fat
- 0 g cholesterol
- 1270 mg sodium (146 mg sodium with salt omitted)
- 237 mg potassium
- 54 g carbohydrate
- 7 g fiber
- 6 g sugars
- 11 g protein
- 10 Weight Watchers Points Plus